Sunday, November 23, 2014

Tech Chapter 8 Blog Post

From the 2014 International Consumer Electronics Show, the three products I found most interesting are:

1. Self Driving Audi A7:
             -This Audi A7 sedan is designed with radars and cameras to detect vehicles on the road. This car is designed sort of like an auto pilot on airplanes, to give drivers a break while sitting in traffic. The windshield mounted camera and the radars positioned on the sides and rear of the Audi monitors lane lines, and detects other cars driving near it. The Audi is able to automatically adjusts its speed to road hazards that happen unexpectedly, like when a vehicle cuts you off, the Audi backs off and slows down. On the instrument cluster, the cameras showed an lcd representation of the traffic around the Audi. All of the sensors and computers are hidden in the body of the car so that noone gets annoyed by huge antennas or "skycrapers" as I call them on top of your car like the google cars. This car, as you can probably tell, is going to cost a lot of money, and take a long time in the production line. Also, personally, I know you can always control the car whenever you need to, but I love to drive and I don't feel comfortable letting a car do it for me (CNET).

2. Intel's charging Bowl:
               -This is very interesting and awesome, in my opinion. This is a bowl like design, like the bowl Sheldon and Leonard use to put their keys in in the Big Bang theory, however its for electronics, not keys. The purpose of this bowl is to charge all of your handheld electronics (cell phones, cameras, tablets, ...) wirelessly without you plugging in your devices. Though this bowl only works with Intel powered devices, Intel is creating new software for it to allow it to charge other phones, tablets, etc. The bowl is 10 inches in diameter and has a cool, sleek design. Intel hasn't released any availability date or pricing just yet. All I can say is, I want one, only if it can charge my apple products (CNET).

3. Lumus DK40 Smartglasses
                -These glasses are designed by an Israeli-based company named Lumus. The purpose of these glasses is to provide consumers with great vision, great styling, with a touch of futuristic personalities. These glasses portray a personal Heads-Up-Display on your lenses. I know it doesn't seem safe to walk around with blue images covering your eyes, you might get hit by a car, but that is what Lumus thought of. Lumus knew they couldn't display those images over both lenses, so they designed it to only portray images over the right eye, that way you can still see out of the left eye. I do like this technology, as I do wear glasses to see, but they are  not a priority in my opinion, I'll just stick with my cheap glasses. Also, the heads-up-display is really cool and all, but one of my car's has a heads-up-display, and although its awesome to drive a car and see your speedometer in your windshield, I would not want to walk around with it directly in front of my eye. But this is very interesting (CNET).

Technology is wonderful in many aspects, and the technology presented in the 2014 International Consumer Electronics Show is very futuristic. Out of the many pieces of technology presented, these three products caught my eye. They are neat, cool, fun, exciting, and many other adjectives. Just think of what the world is going to create next.



References:
CNET, Audi A7 takes the Wheel at CES 2014, http://www.cnet.com/news/audi-a7-takes-the-wheel-at-ces-2014/, 07 January 2014, accessed on 23 November 2014

CNET, Intel Dreams up a Smart Bowl that will Charge Gadgets, http://www.cnet.com/news/intel-dreams-up-a-smart-bowl-that-will-charge-gadgets/, 07 January 2014, accessed on 23 November 2014

CNET, Lumus DK40 smartglasses are your personal HUD (hands-on), http://www.cnet.com/products/lumus-dk40/, 07 January 2014, accessed on 23 November 2014




No comments:

Post a Comment